The Engleman Broom Manufacturing Company

Joseph Engleman moved his broom factory from Hamtramck, Michigan to New Baltimore in 1919. The Engleman Broom Company produced high quality brooms using lumber from Washington and southern Illinois broom corn. The company was one of the leading broom manufacturers in the United States.

The suspension of the Rapid Railway into New Baltimore threatened the importation of broom corn from the south. However, Engleman prevailed and continued to operate the company until his passing in 1930. His family continued to run the company; however, after suffering the great depression and finally the lack of steel due to it's demand for the military in World War II, the company closed it's doors in 1941

New Baltimore Creamery Company

Incorporated in 1898, The main source of dairy products in the village was the New Baltimore Creamery Company, which pictured above shows Louis Schultz and Charles Marcero standing on the porch.

After the creamery closed, it was converted into a dupex residential building where it still stands in 2015.

Anchor Bay Air Park

The Anchor Bay Air Park was located on Ashley St, just north of Crapaud Creek. Shown here are planes headed from the park in 1910 as seen on Washington Street, looking north standing about halfway between Green Street and Alfred Street.

City Garage / Library (1941-1988)

Organized by Elmer Skinner In 1941, acting on the suggestions of the Catholic Study Club, the New Baltimore Public Library started in the cramped 450 square feet of office space in the city municipal garage. It's first books from it's 400 title catalog were checked out by Mayor Engleman on June 14, 1941.  The library rapidly expanded, and by 1949 was using the entire building. By its 20th year, the library owned more than 6,000 books and was open 31 hours per week.

In 1956, the aging building was remodeled inside and out at the expense of $2655.00. The building was rededicated on June 14, 1958, its 17th anniversary.

In 1988, due to a growing population, the library moved from this Washington Street location to the renovated storage facility donated by local business owners and philanthropists, Stuart and Velma MacDonald.

Evans Hotel / Mineral Bath House (1855)

Originally the Evans Hotel, open in 1855 by John Evans, The New Baltimore Mineral Bath House was a popular destination outside of Mount Clemens for travelers in search of therapeutic mineral baths.

Charles Meldrum, owner of the Fountain Bath House in Mount Clemens, purchased the New Baltimore Mineral Bath House and shut it down to eliminate his competition.

The Chesterfield Hotel (1900-1937)

The three story Chesterfield Hotel opened in 1902 and was a popular vacation destination for those travelling into town on the interurban railroad. 

One of the hotel's most famous guests, Henry Ford celebrated at the Chesterfield with a muscrat dinner after setting a new land speed record on the Anchor Bay ice in 1904.

Prior to the hotel, the Ben Bertha Corset and Hoop Skirt factory built in 1870 was demolished to make way for the construction of the Chesterfield.

The Great Depression brought on the demise of the hotel, which fell into disrepair and abandoned. It was demolished in 1937

New Baltimore Town Hall Bell (1890)

This bell was purchased by the New Baltimore City Council on August 28, 1890.

It was used to sound fire alarms, curfews, and also rang at 12 o'clock noon and 6 pm daily. It was located in the belfry of the "Old" Town Hall on Maria Street (between Alfred and Green Streets) and remained there until the building was demolished in 1938.

The Town Pump (1941-)

The second liquor license in Macomb County after the end of Prohibition was awarded to Lou Reidel who was operated his bar in the basement of the house across the street from this location.

In 1941, he moved his business into his other establishment, the Town Pump. After an unfortunate gambling loss, Reidel lost his business and moved back into the basement across the street.

Hatheway Institute (1876-1958)

One of New Baltimore's most prominent citizens and business owners, Gilbert Hatheway, left the village $15,000 when he passed away in 1871. After a dispute was settled between the family and the village over the funds, the three-story Hatheway Institute was built in 1876. 

The Hatheway Institute provided grade school through college class and had a gymnasium on the top floor. The Anchor Bay basketball team had the home advantage due to it's infamous support posts in the middle of the court.

The 82 year old school was declared unsafe and dismantled in 1958. The city then erected the a municipal building and fire department on the site.

Baker Building (1868-)

The Baker Building was built by Peter Schaars in 1868. Peter Schaars sold dry goods, clothing, medicine, and groceries from his store. Schaars also served as the local postmaster from 1867 to 1870, when he sold the building to William Baker Sr. for $4,000. The building was thereafter known as the Baker Building, who's family's businesses used the building for over 100 years until 1979, selling everything from petticoats to potatoes. In 1920, the building was partitioned and many other businesses occupied the location, including American (Hensel's) Bakery, Ashley's Sweet Shop, and Stahl's Famous Original Bakery. 

Hatheway House / The Firs (1860-2005)

One of New Baltimore's most prominent citizens, Gilbert Hatheway, built this mansion in 1860 on what was once known as Cemetery Street (24 Mile). Gilbert's son, James, inherited the house after his passing.

After the home left the Hatheway family, it was used as a bed and breakfast known as "The Firs", managed by Abby Tillotson. The west part of the building was used as a hospital with Dr. Virginia French residing. It was later divided into apartments.

Ownership changed hands several times over the years, and by 2003, the city had to issue violations to urge the previous owner to bring the structure up to code. In addition, rumors of paranormal activity and hidden money caused the house to fall victim to illegal entry and vandalism.

Contrary to the stories, this home was never used as a mental institution or insane asylum.

The structure was declared a public nuisance in 2004 and was demolished in 2005.

Grand Pacific House (1881-)

One of New Baltimore's finest hotels, the Grand Pacific House was constructed in 1881  for Frederick C. Losh and open to the public in 1885. Sadly, it is the only hotel that remains today.

         Supporting the building is a deep foundation of large chunks of limestone which were shipped to New Baltimore from Kelly's Island in Lake Erie near Sandusky, Ohio. Over this limestone foundation, local bricklayers August Maliskey and David Blay constructed the two-story building.The building consisted of a saloon, hotel lobby, dining room and a kitchen on the first floor, and eight bedrooms on the second floor.

         About 1910, the Grand Pacific House began to decline and lost its hotel character, becoming a boarding house and later a residence for various family members. During the 1920's, Herbert Losh, a relative, transformed the saloon into a soda fountain and candy store. In 1927, Ed Maliskey took over the business and converted it into a hardware store, a business he had until his death in 1972.

         Since then, the building has housed a variety of businesses. The New Baltimore Historical Society purchased the building in 1986. Proudly in 1996, the Grand Pacific House donned its Michigan State Historic Marker.

         The restoration process continues as the beautiful Grand Pacific House lives on.

Red Ribbon Hall (?-1857) Kleehammer's Saloon (1900-)

Louis Kleehammer (1855-1916) developed this property where John Kleehammer operated a saloon around 1900. Subsequent to it's saloon days, this building was used as Christie's Funeral Home.

Before Kleehammer's Saloon was built, this corner was home to the Red Ribbon Hall. Local townspeople came to the hall for dancing, partying, watching shows and plays. It was also a meeting place for local Masonic groups.

It was demolished in 1857, 43 years before Kleehammer's was built.

Heuser Brewery (1874-1897)

The Joseph Heuser Brewery, owned and operated by Henry Heuser, produced lager beer between 1874 and 1897. The brewery once occupied the entire block off of Main Street between Maria and Base Streets.

When some of the brewery buildings were demolished in 1926 to make way for St. Mary's School, a skeleton was found in the basement during excavation. Forensics determined that the bones to be those of Charles Wanke, a saloon owner who went missing 40 years prior.

The last of the former Heuser buildings were demolished in 1963.

The New Baltimore Water Towers (1902-1953) / (1948-)

Once emblazoned with "History Harbor, New Baltimore", the New Baltimore Water Tower was erected in 1948 by the Chicago Bridge and Iron Works for the winning bid of $25,000. It is 147ft tall and has a capacity of 100,000 gallons in the main tank, plus 18,000 gallons in it's riser pipe.

The tower has been out of active service since 1994, but still remains a historic landmark for visitors and boaters on Anchor Bay.

This tower replaced the prior water tower that was erected in 1902 and demolished in 1953.

Henry Ford breaks land speed record (1904)

In January 1904, just 6 months after launching the Ford Motor Company, Henry Ford brought one of his two 999 racers, the Arrow, to New Baltimore to promote his new business.

The Ford 999 was powered by an 18.9L Inline 4-cylinder engine with a bore of 7.25 inches and a stroke of 7 inches, producing 70-100 Horsepower.

A track was carved into the ice  in preparation for the event. With Henry Ford steering and his mechanic Spider Huff riding atop the engine operating the throttle, a new speed record was set when the 999 was clocked at an average of 91.37mph for the last mile of the bumpy course. 

Henry Ford celebrated afterwards at the nearby Chesterfield Hotel with a muskrat dinner.