One of New Baltimore's most prominent citizens and business owners, Gilbert Hatheway, left the village $15,000 when he passed away in 1871. After a dispute was settled between the family and the village over the funds, the three-story Hatheway Institute was built in 1876.
The Hatheway Institute provided grade school through college class and had a gymnasium on the top floor. The Anchor Bay basketball team had the home advantage due to it's infamous support posts in the middle of the court.
The 82 year old school was declared unsafe and dismantled in 1958. The city then erected the a municipal building and fire department on the site.